Carrot, Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
1 large sweet potato (grated in food processor)
4-6 large carrots (grated in food processor)
1 large onion (white or red) chopped finely
2-3 garlic cloves crushed
3cm cube ginger skinned and chopped finely
1tblspn olive oil
2 tsp cumin
1 litre vegetable stock (cheated I made using Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon)
0.25 l orange juice
Grated zest of an orange
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sweat the grated vegetables, garlic and ginger in the olive oil over a low heat with pan lid on, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and orange zest and plenty of pepper.
- Make up the stock and add to vegetables with the orange juice
- Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes
- Blend carefully and adjust seasoning to taste (for me I add even more black pepper and little salt as the stock has salt in it)
- Serve with a swirl of low fat yogurt, creme fraiche or cream and sprinkling of paprika.