This is an open tart, with no quiche eggy mixture, easy and delicious to rustle up on holiday with the local Chabichou goats cheese.
Goats cheese, cherry tomato and caramelised red onion tart
You will need:
1 Packet of puff pastry
2-3 tblspns green or red pesto
1 tblspn olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
200g ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
1-2 red peppers, sliced
250 g goats cheese like Chabichou du Poitou (not soft)
- Gently heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions until soft and starting to caramelise, add the sugar and turn up the heat a bit. The onions should be soft and brownish but not burnt! Put to one side to cool.
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees (fan) and lightly flour a baking sheet
- Roll out puff pastry thinly to an oblong, place on baking sheet, wet edges and roll over once to form an edge. Score the pastry lightly inside the edge (not all the way through)
- Spread the pesto over the pastry, then cover with the caramelised onions.
- Arrange the tomatoes cut size up, interspersed with sliced peppers.
- Cube the cheese and sprinkle over, tucking into gaps
- Grind over some black pepper, a pinch of rock salt if desired, and tear some basil leaves
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Serve warm with salad
Whilst on holiday at White Shutters you can follow the Route du Chabichou et des Fromages de Chèvre tasting artisanal goats cheese as you go. Have fun pairing local wines, Sauvignon or Gamay du Haut Poitou are best with fresh young goats cheese, and white Pineau des Charentes (the local apéro)with dry goats cheese like Chabichou.